Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Anniversary!

   Today is Valentine's Day. I am a romantic, of course, but to me, Valentine's Day is not about roses and chocolate. It is about survival. Seven years ago, I underwent my final chemotherapy treatment. Lunch that day, in the infusion center, was prime rib. There was a rose made with Hershey's Kisses on my tray. It tasted like everything else had for months. But I will always remember that meal.
   The past seven years has been filled with learning to deal with the fact that I don't always have the energy I want and my hands don't work like they used to (I'm told that the neuropathy was caused by the  chemo and may go away...someday). I am getting used to the lymphedema and menopause my body was thrown into suddenly. I have learned everything there is to know about post-mastectomy bras, swimsuits, and prosthetic breasts. I have been frustrated by the inability to just wear any shirt I want, since most of today's styles show my prosthesis. I have spent $80 on a bra and more than $100 on a swimsuit. I am still seeing my oncologist and my oncological surgeon on a regular schedule and I take medication every day to help prevent a recurrence of the Inflammatory Breast Cancer that tried to kill me.
   Today I took the next step. I met with a plastic surgeon and scheduled the first stage of my breast reconstruction. It is something I have thought about, read about, and stressed about for a very long time. I almost took the step last year, but because I was going to college, I decided to put it off. I graduated in December.
   The first stage of my reconstruction will take place on March 2nd. They will be doing a reduction on my remaining breast, removing my port (finally!) and inserting a tissue expander. When I have healed some from that surgery, I will begin twice-weekly visits to have the expander, well, expanded. That will provide the extra skin to create my new breast. Once it is expanded enough, I will undergo stage two: the reconstruction. They plan on doing a procedure called a TRAM. They will take muscle and, doing a tummy tuck, fat, and reposition it, creating a new breast. Some weeks later, they will create a nipple and, finally, tattoo it to make it the correct color.
   I won't lie. I am excited, but scared to death. This is the first surgery I have chosen to do. The others were life-saving surgeries, and I didn't have a choice. They were also all much shorter procedures. But I know I will be fine, and I know this is the right decision for me.

   Well, since it is Valentine's Day, I am going to go spend some time with the love of my life. I hope it was a good day for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment